Brick Cave Books seeks to work with new and emerging authors writing in the Science Fiction and Fantasy genres. We tend to avoid Horror. We will consider additional genres based on submissions. We are not at this time considering non-fiction.
Due to a backlog of unpublished poetry titles, we are unable to accept poetry manuscripts at this time.
These guidelines are for manuscript submissions only. Brick Cave also maintains a program called the Brick Cave Fictioneers, for writers interested in writing micro fiction.
The Importance of Craft
Brick Cave Media is seeking authors with a keen understanding of craft. To that end, we encourage prospective authors to engage their local writing communities in efforts to better understand their work.
We are involved with some events and organizations, including:
- Cirque du Livre Writer’s Conference, sponsored in part by Brick Cave Media
- Arizona State Poetry Society, of which Brick Cave Media is a member
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, of which Brick Cave staff are members
Submission Period and Guidelines
July 1st-September 30th*
* Manuscripts received outside of this period will be destroyed and not responded to.
Full Manuscript Follow Up
October of Each Year
December each year
Timeline to publication
Once accepted, we may ask for some additional work on the manuscript, and there are additional workflows based on cover creation and other factors. We do not guarantee a set date of publication until we have moved through those processes with the author.
When We Publish
We are looking to maintain a schedule of 4-6 titles each year. We may ask to accept a work with the intent of publishing it farther out than our original expectations, depending on our lineup.
- Send us a cover letter plus the first 3 chapters.
- Cover Letter should include:
- Relevant information about the full manuscript (words, etc.)
- If you are writing a series, if any other works related to the series (even peripherally) have been published, please advise us
- Brief synopsis.
- We want to know about you as a writer and a person. Do not try and impress us with name drops, awards and such (certainly share your successes and such, but a person is more than the sum of their awards). Tell us why you like this manuscript. What motivated you to send it to us? Why should we snap this manuscript up and work with you?
- Text of your chapters should be double spaced.
- Contact information should be on cover letter, and name and title should appear on all pages of manuscript.
- Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (for notification).
- You must be able to provide your final edited manuscript in electronic form.
- No simultaneous submissions
- Do not submit materials “return receipt requested” or as “registered” mail. You are welcome to include a self-addressed stamped “received” postcard, and we will draw a happy face on it and send it back so you know you’re in the office.
- Please do not include any neutron based observation equipment. That stuff is so 2230s. If you”re confused, that was a funny, and perhaps your first red flag that we might not be for you.
- We will review manuscripts between 50,000 and 125,000 words.
- Submissions will not be returned.
- Agented submissions OK.
- Previously published works will not be considered.
Brick Cave Books
C/O Manuscript Submissions
165 N Centennial Way, Suite 109
Mesa, AZ 85201